You and Your Library
Learn about all the resources available at a library near you
Most people know that libraries offer a lot of different resources these days - but many people don't know the full range.
This course covers:
- Different kinds of libraries and what they offer
- How to learn more about library services.
- How to find materials in libraries (and on library shelves)
- How to explore a collection and find new things.
- Useful library services you may not be aware of
- Ways to get access to databases and books at other libraries.
- A troubleshooting guide to help with some situations people run into.
Who is this for?
This course is aimed at people who use the library for research or learning new things. The information will also help if you use it for pleasure reading, or for kids programs, but it's not focused on that.
What kind of libraries, and where?
My experience is in libraries in the United States, but many of the resources I discuss work similarly in other countries (at least English-speaking ones) and I've included links or information to help you find resources for your area as appropriate.
(If you've got a question about a particular location or country, I'm glad to find appropriate information and add it to the course materials, too.)
I've been working in libraries since 2000, and earned my Master of Library Information Science degree in 2007. Since then I've worked in a school library, a college library, and now in a special library (Learn all about these types of libraries in part one of this course.) And of course, I've used the public libraries everywhere I've lived since I was tiny.